It seems like everyone besides me agrees on option #2 so I implemented it
in #18023 <https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/18023> (
https://github.com/ogier/django/compare/remove-simplejson ). At the same
time, I want to reiterate my support for option #1: not deprecating the
module and leaving the shim in for the foreseeable future. If simplejson is
available on the system, and particularly if it has been compiled with C
extensions, then there is a significant performance gain to be had, so why
not continue to take advantage of that in all the places that django
serializes to json?

Best,
Alex Ogier