Hey all,

Yeah, you aren't missing anything — originally I wanted to wait for the
formrendering stuff, but that never panned out, and then I got busy.

Grappelli is lovely. Without knocking it at all, I think that the next version
of the admin should be as forward-looking as the last version, which means
rethinking what the admin does, not just how it looks. Unfortunately, I haven't
stepped up to champion this beyond idle thoughts.

As noted, "don't hold your breath" would be wise. Even if we did jump in on an
admin rewrite tomorrow, the fruits of that labour won't be one release in the
making. The transition would probably resemble newforms, with "newadmin"
appearing alongside "admin" in one release, then admin deprecated to "oldadmin"
for one release, and finally disappearing after that. We wouldn't even release
"newadmin" as a thing until we had something functional and mostly stable. I
don't see much point in speculating when that might happen.

-I