On that note, why can't the fruits of Grappelli be used as a starting point?

-----Original Message----- From: h3
Sent: Friday, April 27, 2012 4:01 PM
To: Django developers
Subject: Re: Django Admin Revamp - Any updates?

I don't know the status of this project, but my guess is that you
shouldn't hold your breath for it.

Fortunately, there is Grappelli: https://github.com/sehmaschine/django-grappelli

We are currently working on making it compatible with django 1.4 (see
the "grappelli_2_4" branch)

Alternatively the branch on my fork works pretty well with 1.4:
https://github.com/h3/django-grappelli/tree/grappelli_2_4

Cheers