Hi all!

I think it would be fair to note that Dana's mock-up
(http://cl.ly/0U2C1O20133i0U3d1s3X/o) seems to solve most of the tasks
mentioned by Russell, while avoiding information overload and keeping
visual hierarchy clear.

- If I seek to contribute to Django, the mock-up features a clear and
visible “Contribute” link below.
- If I'm a manager new to Django, the first thing I'd look for is which
companies already use the framework, and how. The “Who's using” block gives
a solid clue on that. (I'd only suggest that the logos were links leading
to actual use cases.)
- The DSF part is, however, missing: I'd suggest to place corresponding
block below the quick start.

I agree that Giovanni's design probably lacks some of the features and not
as clear as Dana's original mock-up. However, I would argue with Russell's
point about “equally important calls to action”.

Yes, both proposals aren't optimized for all mentioned use cases equally
well. The “Contribute” link is not visible enough, and the DSF block is
below the fold, and there's not much community resources present. However,
keeping clear visual hierarchy and limiting the number of calls to action
according to use case priority is probably more important[1].

It appears to me that use cases for djangoproject.com clearly differ in
their priority:

- If you're a developer or a manager choosing what to use in a new project,
you're a valuable visitor, as broader adoption is desired. There's also a
high chance you bounce off and won't come back, since there's quite a
variety of web frameworks out there. So it probably makes sense to optimise
for this use case.

- If you're a manager or developer who've already decided to give back to
the community, you're probably more valuable, but it's also harder to drive
you away. (Some time ago I remember myself searching current
djangoproject.com on how to contribute to development, there wasn't any
mention of that on landing page but I kept looking until I found relevant
information.)

- If you're a developer returning for reference, you're unlikely to drop
Django because of landing page. Also, you'll just use Google to search for
relevant information, which would land you directly on documentation pages
and StackOverflow.

Considering this, it probably makes sense to optimize for new potential
users (managers and developers) first, then for those who seek to
contribute. The Dana's mock-up IMHO would deal with that well with DSF /
sponsorship block added at the bottom.

Note: The above list may be incomplete, or I might've gotten wrong the
priorities. I'd just like to propose more systematic approach to the
problem.

Regarding community visibility: It's probably impossible to place many
community resources on landing page while keeping strong visual hierarchy
and clear call to action. I'd argue Dana's design deals with this well:
“Featured content” could expose one selected resource at a time, while the
“Explore” block has the “Resources” and “Community” links that point to the
rest.

[1] The larger is the number of calls to action and the more use cases the
page is optimized for, the harder it is for a visitor to make a decision.
http://muddylemon.com/2012/03/creating-effective-landing-pages/ explains
that. Although it perhaps deals with landing pages of different sort, IMHO
some principles are still applicable to general landing page design.

-- Anton Strogonoff

PS. At first I thought of djangoproject.com redesign as a good opportunity
to give back to the community and show off my skills as aspiring web
designer, but after seeing Dana's mock-up I decided I can't really suggest
anything significantly better. =)

(PPS. It appears to be my first post here, please don't judge hard.)