On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 10:57 AM, Jeremy Dunck <jdu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was poking around in our (Votizen's) use of signals and thinking
> about making some tooling so that signal usage was a bit more
> transparent.
>
> In doing so, I noticed that GenericForeignKey hooks the model pre_init
> signal.  It does that because GFK needs a chance to munge kwargs from
> the GFK field name to the content_id and object_id fields.
>
> Signal dispatch with zero receivers is much much faster than with 1 or
> more receivers, and pre_init is fired quite a lot.  Pretty much every
> decent sized project I've worked on has used GFK, so I imagine this is
> a large sap on performance overall.
>
> Similarly, I just noticed that ImageField does a similar thing,
> setting dimension values in post_init.
>
> I think we could get a significant performance win if, instead of
> using pre_init/post_init here, we changed Model.__init__ to call a
> per-field hook that could munge the Model.__init__ kwargs.
>
> SomeField.model_pre_init(instance, args, kwargs)
>   or maybe for symmetry with contribute_to_class:
> SomeField.contribute_to_instance(instance, args, kwargs)

+1 to this idea.

My only concern is:

> We could store which fields have these hooks upon ModelBase.__new__
> construction and so skip most fields and overhead in __init__.

I'm not sure if I'm misreading your intentions here, but just to be
sure -- I'd like to avoid explicitly naming certain field types as
"special" in ModelBase if at all possible. If we explicitly name
certain fields in ModelBase, then it means that third-parties with the
same requirement won't be able to exploit the same API entry point. In
the case of GenericForeignKey specifically, it also means that we
would be introducing a dependency (even if it was name-only) on
contrib into core -- which is something we've been trying to move away
from.

Russ %-)