I think it would be good to make a new documentation page suggesting
various best practices - speaking from my point of view, it was hard for me
to figure out what I *should* be doing, because everyone was doing it
differently and each method had their own pros and cons. I ended up using a
mishmash and was in a nightmare situation where nothing actually worked.

Obviously this page would need to be kept up to date - maybe even just
"some people said these things about Django best practices, read these
blogposts for information" would be fine - just some starting pointers. I
know especially on Windows its not that uncommon to entirely neglect
pip/virtualenv.