Hi Russ,

First, let me apologize for being a bit late to the party on this. If
there's been prior discussion of any of the points below kindly tell me to
get stuffed and so shall I do.

Our team has been working with the t3011 branch today.

We ran into some trouble running tests locally. The tests were in our own
project (not django), but BaseDatabaseIntrospection.sequence_list() was
listing sequences for all models, and not taking into account that some
might be swappable. Josh Ourisman threw together a patch to fix this. Russ:
You should have seen a pull request, but the diff is available
at
https://github.com/joshourisman/django/commit/ef46bbb5520499ebcda2e074446d2c4a055dd6e8

We've run into quite a few issues with third party packages that have
foreign keys to auth.User. Fixing this may be outside the scope of Django
proper, but it will require work with the community. To enable our testing,
we've had to fork quite a few apps.

An especially large problem has been with South. Existing migrations will
explicitly refer to auth.User. That is to say: a fresh installation on the
initial `./manage.py migrate` will behave incorrectly because foreign keys
will be pointing to an incorrect model. I inquired over on #django-south
and didn't get any response on any possible plans to handle the new use
cases introduced by the t3011 changes. Not a core problem, but something we
should work with the community on to ensure a smooth path.

Lastly, I haven't seen a path to easily allow third-party apps to
gracefully support both The Old Way and The New Way (1.4 and 1.5). It feels
a bit wrong, but should we be considering  the addition of get_user_model
and settings.AUTH_USER_MODEL to 1.4.x that's hardcoded to contrib.auth.User
so third-party apps can rely on the presence of these mechanisms?

All of this aside, this is great work. This has been an itch I've longed to
scratch for quite some time, and this work does it more completely and more
correctly than my efforts in django-samaritan. Cheers to you, Russ, and to
everyone who's been part of forming this solution over the last six years!

Best,
 - Ben