On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 8:14 PM, rizumu <funks...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It is great to see this merged, it has been a long time coming. :)
>
> I would like to add backwards compatibility to some apps and I'm looking for
> a recommended technique. Could the following, or a better option, find its
> way into the docs in a section specific to app developers tasked with adding
> support for auth_user_model. Having a recommendation in the docs would make
> pull requests with this feature more likely and easier to handle.

Adding a backwards compatibility shim has already been discussed (a
few messages earlier in this thread). The plan is to back port two
parts of the #3011 patch to 1.4:

 * The global setting AUTH_USER_MODEL = 'auth.User'

 * An implementation of get_user_model() that always returns auth.User.

This means that when 1.5 is released (and we release 1.4.2), the same
User access code will run on the current stable and security versions.
I haven't added this code to the 1.4 branch yet, but my intention is
to do so before the 1.5 release is finalised.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)