That's a great addition to the project! Congratulations.

I couldn't hold myself from adding my two cents to this topic.

Having the custom user model available on
"django.contrib.auth.models.User" would be transparent for third party apps
and south migrations.

This is kinda the way django-shop solves the problem of customizing its
models.
Custom models can be imported both from its custom location or from the
original (canonical) module.

They have a base abstract model and an isolated concrete implementation
that is used as a fallback if no custom model is configured on project's
settings.

Best regards,
Enrico