I think you are referring to
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/auth/#custom-users-and-django-contrib-admin
But I don't want to re-implement those if they already exist on
AbstractUser. I want exactly the same permission granularity as with
non-custom User so I have to pull in the groups and permission
relations.

Maybe there should be a mixin with those ?

And I'm not saying the admin doesn't work with AbstractBaseUser, I'm
just implying that's too much code needed to get the equivalent admin
features on a custom user. Maybe my usecase is not that common and I
need to accept the fact, but then again, maybe not. I'm just putting
it on the table.

Thanks,
-- ionel