On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 12:03 AM, Val Neekman <v...@neekman.com> wrote:

> OK, I went back and looked at Django 1.5 again. (New Custom User Model)
>
> Here is what I think: (User Django 1.4 as base)
>
> 1. Rename username to userid and increase the length to 255 chars while
> keeping the rest of attribute the same (e.g db_index ...etc)
> 2. Remove first_name, last_name and full_name (or not)
> 3. Have __unicode__ return the userid by default
> 4. Leave everything else alone (Permissions, Auth, Groups ... etc)
>
> Thank you for your feedback. However, we discussed the design of the User
model at length 9 months ago, and the design you see today is the result of
those discussions. Search the archives if you want to see those discussion,
or check the wiki [1] for the redux version of those discussions.

[1] https://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/ContribAuthImprovements

I'm happy to entertain discussions around minor tweaks to the design that
was discussed (such as the permissions mixin that has been proposed in this
thread), but we're not about to engage in a major redesign process this
late in the release cycle unless someone can point out some *major*
problems with the proposed design -- and so far, all that has been
demonstrated is some minor annoyances requiring duplicated code, not major
problems.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)