Just realised why this has been so heavily debated, and just discovered
something new.

https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/ref/templates/api/#loader-types
django.template.loaders.app_directories.Loader

If 'myproject.polls' is placed into INSTALLED_APPS then Django will look at
'/path/to/myproject/polls/templates/' for the templates.

I didn't even know about app_directories loader, and using it sounds much
cleaner than having to use relative paths.

In regards to the other two vars (media root etc), as stated before, those
should really be deployment specific and not relative, this is a devops
problem not a code problem.

As such, I'm now -9000 on supporting relative paths.

Thanks for explaining this Florian - makes a lot more sense now.

Cal