On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 8:17 AM, Florian Apolloner <f.apollo...@gmail.com>wrote:

>  * local_settings is imo a bad pattern as they can't easily override
> anything without copying it completely into the local_settings (think of
> all the settings which are dicts like DATABASES and CACHES)

I use this way to allow variable changes:

    try:
        execfile('local_settings.py', globals(), locals())
    except IOError:
        pass

Mostly because I want in development: new apps, middlewares, so these are
possible:

INSTALLED_APPS += ('debug_toolbar', 'django_extensions', 'devserver')
MIDDLEWARE_CLASSES += ('debug_toolbar.middleware.DebugToolbarMiddleware',)

On the main topic, I'm in favor of PROJECT_ROOT settings, it's a common
practice, and isn't that bad, once in production it can be a mount point or
overwritten on local_settings.py

[],
--
Luciano Pacheco