+1 from me. Here's a patch to add autocommit to MySQL:
https://github.com/django/django/pull/857

FWIW: any sort of scheme where a transaction is kept open all request
(including a transaction that only ever reads), will cause you serious pain
if you're trying to do migrations on MySQL with traffic.

Alex