On 1 mai 2013, at 02:18, Russell Keith-Magee <russ...@keith-magee.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 9:45 PM, VernonCole <vernondc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) The transaction logic will change drastically for django 1.6.  For the
> supported backends it makes good sense to simply change that in the
> repository. However, it is reasonable to expect significant code change with
> the upgrade of this backend, and I think that we should maintain a single
> code base for a while.
>
> As for whether this is a bad idea - It depends how hard it is to maintain the
> two side by side. If this will be constrained to a handful of branch points,
> in well isolated pieces of code, then it will be fairly easy to manage, and
> in the long term, deprecate the dead code branches. However, if the
> consequences of auto commit handling are spread throughout the codebase, and
> require lots of intricate changes, it may end up being a headache.

A single code base compatible with all currently supported versions of Django
is indeed the most friendly solution for developers using django-mssql.

But it will require a lot of efforts on your side, given the fairly large
changes between Django 1.5 and 1.6, and I suspect it will be rather hard to
maintain. In addition to the transactions refactor, internal APIs for managing
connections and cursors also changed a lot.

> The other approach would be to make versions hard matched -- i.e.,
> django-mssql A.X works with Django 1.5, django-mssql A.Y works with Django
> 1.6. That way the code only ever  has to support one Django version at a
> time, but the user will need to pay closer attention to which version of
> django-mssql they actually have deployed. If you want to be really friendly,
> you could make *this* a one off django.VERSION check.

To some extent, all Django-related libraries hit this problem, and they usually
document which versions of Django they support. I wouldn't worry too much about
having hard version requirements.

--
Aymeric.