On May 13, 2013, at 5:12 AM, Chris Wilson <ch...@aptivate.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> On Mon, 13 May 2013, Russell Keith-Magee wrote:
>
>> This isn't political equivocating. Its a genuine call to the community to
>> tell us how we can make things better.
>
> If I may make a suggestion to be considered by the community:
>
> The status WONTFIX sounds awfully rude to me. It's like saying "That's a pony
> and you can't have one, ever." It implies a terminal finality which actually
> isn't meant in some cases, because it is possible (as we've seen) and even
> sometimes recommended by a core developer, for a sufficiently determined
> person to push for change on the mailing list and make it happen.
>
> Perhaps there's a case for a status like "DISCUSSION" or "NEEDINFO" when a
> feature might be accepted if sufficient evidence for it comes to light, but
> that evidence isn't there yet.
>
> I'd like to feel that reload() and first() are cases where a core developer
> might choose to close a ticket with this new status instead of WONTFIX. I
> would also hope that the core developers might be gentler with newbies like
> me instead of scaring us off with a gruff one-word reply of WONTFIX.
>
> I think there is value in people "voting" for a feature on the ticket if they
> don't feel up to arguing the case on the mailing list (which is a trial by
> fire, and not for the faint hearted). Whoever is brave enough to take up the
> issue on the mailing list can point to the number of votes on the ticket as
> evidence for a desire for the feature, and hence its usefulness. And voting
> on the ticket instead of here saves a lot of "me too" noise on the mailing
> list.
>
> Cheers, Chris.
> --
> Aptivate | http://www.aptivate.org | Phone: +44 1223 967 838
> Future Business, Cam City FC, Milton Rd, Cambridge, CB4 1UY, UK
>
> Aptivate is a not-for-profit company registered in England and Wales
> with company number 04980791.

I think the problem with voting on an issue is that it will make people feel
justified in asking/demanding a feature that doesn't have a chance of going on.
A bad idea with a 100 yes votes isn't going to get in any more than a bad idea
with 1 yes vote.

That's not to say it's not an ok idea. I don't know if it is or not. But it is
an issue and folks will feel like # of votes justifies bad ideas getting
implemented.

Donald Stufft