Hi Tom,

On Monday 13 May 2013, Tom Evans wrote:

> You're not the only person who has time constraints, each of has a
> choice of what we work on in our spare time. When I read these sorts
> of tickets, perfectly valid feature requests knocked down for
> precisely no reason, why should I waste my time trying to jump through
> these arbitrary hoops? The short answer is I don't, I work on my own
> projects.

You are missing two crucial points:

> perfectly valid feature requests knocked down for precisely no reason

1) The feature requests you are talking about have all been considered and
rejected by committers. There is an assumption that committers do want to
improve Django and do not reject suggestions at a whim; that there is a reason
for the rejection. You may not like the reason, but that's a different story
and point.

> why should I waste my time trying to jump through these arbitrary hoops?

2) The "hoops" are not arbitrary. I see two points in the requirement to go to
the mailing list:

- The point mentioned many times in this discussion: The mailing list is much
more visible than any single ticket.

- Saving committers' time. While it's true that
> You're not the only person who has time constraints
committer time is the most scarce resource of the Django community. So if a
committer has already spent some time on a ticket, I'd rather have some other
people look at it before requiring committers' attention again.

My (non-committer's) 2 cents,

Shai.