On 8 juil. 2013, at 18:59, Danilo Bargen <gez...@gmail.com> wrote:

> While I agree that small PRs which fix issues like whitespace should not
> necessarily clutter up the commit history, I disagree for larger cleanup
> commits. In some places the code has serious formatting issues (e.g. lines
> that are indented 3 instead of 4 characters and that only work thanks to the
> lax Python indentation parsing).

I can't speak for other core devs, but I won't merge such PRs for a very simple
reason: it's more tedious and time-consuming to review them than to redo them
by myself.

If someone took advantage of a huge "style cleanup" diff to slip in a security
vulnerability — and trust me, it doesn't take much code — I wouldn't want to
have my name on the commit.

> Anyways, if you don't want to accept such commits that's OK, but I think
> adherence to coding standards is pretty bad in many Django modules and it
> should be fixed.

Like the 1400 or so tickets currently open in Trac :)

> And for sure I won't be the last person to send you such a pull request.

You aren't the first one either. For some reasons I don't quite understand,
"hey, your coding standards suck, mine are better" is a common first-contact
technique :)

--
Aymeric.