> I can't speak for other core devs, but I won't merge such PRs for a very
> simple reason: it's more tedious and time-consuming to review them than to
> redo them by myself.

Even though there are many changes, the changes are very obvious and
simple and quick to review.

> If someone took advantage of a huge "style cleanup" diff to slip in a
> security vulnerability — and trust me, it doesn't take much code — I
> wouldn't want to have my name on the commit.

That's right. But if you scroll through the diff on Github it's very
easy to see that there are no "deep" changes... Probably 95% of the
changes are whitespace anyways.

> Like the 1400 or so tickets currently open in Trac :)

A cleanup doesn't mean that other tickets should not be fixed :)

> You aren't the first one either. For some reasons I don't quite
> understand, "hey, your coding standards suck, mine are better" is a common
> first-contact technique :)

Well, it's actually your coding standard:
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/internals/contributing/writing-code/coding-style/
And it's not my first contribution to Django either. It's just
something that apparently bugs many people and that would be easy to
fix.

> The most important thing to remember though is that this is code
> which works, which is fundamentally the most important thing.

Yes, practicality beats purity, but at the same time beautiful is
better than ugly, sparse is better than dense and readability counts
:)

Cheers
Danilo