No FastCGI isn't a bad protocol. But it's not recommand to deploy Python
Application's with FastCGI. FastCGI is good for deploying PHP or even
sometimes Golang (but here, the plain Webserver is better).
But! FastCGI is a low level protocol and WSGI tries to get rid of that.
Flup is just a server/middleware that makes a WSGI based Application to a
SCGI/FCGI one. It's never recommand to use a low level api, when you don't
have to.
Also people who deployed on FastCGI should change that behavior to
mod_wsgi, and there are a shitload of hosters that already supporting
mod_wsgi, so it's really not that easy to change your hoster.

Btw. the djangoproject also have a good list which lists some hosters:
https://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/DjangoFriendlyWebHosts