On Aug 9, 2013, at 11:09 PM, Russell Keith-Magee <russ...@keith-magee.com>
wrote:

> Historically, we haven't updated our documentation to point out bugs, but in
> this case, given that there are ongoing security implications, I think it
> might be worthwhile to draw attention to this.

I agree with documenting.

> I also have a nagging feeling in the back of my head that there have been
> questions raised about whether GZIPMiddleware should exist *at all* -- that
> there's some niggling detail in the WSGI spec that says that GZip compression
> should be applied at the web server level, not the WSGI level. Can anyone
> confirm if I'm hallucinating on this point? And if I'm not, perhaps we should
> just be deprecating GZipMiddlware?

This is an interesting question. You are right that the WSGI spec states that
and historically I would have agreed with you. However in light of the recent
BREACH vulnerability I have a sneaking suspicion that compression is going to
move down the stack into the application layer. Unless a more generalized
solution is created I believe that the ability to turn compression on and off
at the application level is going to be important. The application knows what
*kind* of data exists in a response body and wether or not it is safe to
compress it. The web server does not (except by crude heuristics such as path).

Donald Stufft