Hi,

On Saturday, August 10, 2013 9:54:02 AM UTC+2, Daniele Procida wrote:

> There is this discussion: <https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/19153>
> which concludes that it shouldn't be deprecated because some versions of
> nginx (<https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/19153#comment:5> don't work
> with Etags and GZip as expected otherwise).
>
> If that's because nginx doesn't behave properly, and the only reason for
> not deprecating it, then perhaps it should be renamed
> "GZipForMisbehavingBrowsersMiddleware".

That might have been the only reason (btw other servers might behave the
same or have similar, didn't test that myself); but as Donald says, in
light of BREACH there are new reasons to keep it (at least for now, till we
know if we want to keep it). Also, renaming things doesn't play well with
Django's backwards compat policy and java-style 200Char class names are
ugly, but I am sure you only suggested that as jest ;)