Actually, you'd just speed up their attack, since most failed attempts
would be quicker than others.

If you look in the crypto utils, you'll see a "constant time compare" ...
this is a common thing in crypto circles to avoid leaking "how close" the
guess was by how quickly the mismatch was found.

This is a class of "side channel attach"... worth reading up on if you want
to get further into crypto: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side_channel_attack

--
Curtis