Password hashing schemes are slow on purpose to prevent brute force.
Siphash wouldn't make sense because if you're switching for speed you
can just use any secure hash function.

crypt by default is much slower than PBKDF2 FWIW. You should tune the
work factor/iterations until it's fast enough that it doesn't negatively
impact your site but as slow as possible otherwise. The higher the work
factor/iterations the harder it is to brute force, but the more negative
impact each login has.

I would tune bcrypt or PBKDF2 down before I implemented this custom
scheme.

--
  Donald Stufft
  don...@stufft.io