On 19 Nov 2013, at 6:10 PM, Javier Guerra Giraldez wrote:
> but still you get only SHA1-level strength, when the whole idea was to
> switch to stronger crypto.  if in your case SHA1 is enough, you can
> simply keep using it.  if it's not enough, then you shouldn't be using
> it.

Well, it seems to me it's still an improvement over plain SHA1 password
storage. If the attacker only has access to on-disk data (or backups, etc.),
then you have BCrypt-level strength. If the attacker has access to memcached,
then you only have SHA1-level strength, as you say.

I don't know what bitbucket's access pattern looks like, but how much less
effective would this mixin be if you didn't use memcached (and just had an
in-process, unshared password cache / memoized BCrypt)? If an attacker gains
access to *that* cache, then they presumably also have access to the plaintext
passwords coming from the users, so you haven't lost anything.

Another idea would be to store
PBKDF2-with-lower-work-factor(salt+user+password) entries in the cache instead
of using SHA1(...). This would let you tune the amount of security you're
giving up vs. performance.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/58914BE0-6F01-42EA-B994-ED0D2870AD66%40omnigroup.com.