I have to agree that the decentralized nature of the mailing list would
probably stand the test of time a bit better, plus the ability to in-line
reply makes larger discussions easier on the eyes.

In reference to OPs original comments;
Enhancement proposals are a great idea, but ultimately they will suffer
with the exact same problem as other PRs, waiting on core devs. Unless a
core dev has a particular interest in that specific EP, then you're pretty
much waiting on a core dev to have "spare time" where they haven't got
anything else they'd rather be doing, as well as not being paid to do it.
That's not a dig at the core devs in any way, it's just a well established
behaviour of open source contributors.

Other projects have got around this issue by getting sponsorship and having
an experienced full time person(s) keeping on top of things, leaving the
rest of the core team to focus on getting the code done. Another
alternative is to set a threshold on proposals, meaning that it has to be
either accepted or rejected after a certain number of days since the last
edit (by means of a vote count or key person decision).  Really it comes
down to two things.. keeping it simple enough for users to contribute
easily, whilst enforcing a certain level of quality assurance, which can
only be done by a trusted (and hopefully experienced) person. Personally I
don't think Django has found the sweet spot for this yet.

Cal

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAHKQagHFk-Pm5V5D%3D26n1HL-Ahq3zD%2BvCG2JVP1mfk2Qf41S5Q%40mail.gmail.com.