OK, I guess I'll weigh in on the substance.

The thing about "master" and "slave" is not (or at least not only) that
they refer to a sociopolitical configuration that is objectionable (for
example, the institutionally racist forms of slavery that have occurred in
many parts of the world throughout history).  It's that the interpersonal
dynamic of "master" and "slave" is itself abhorrent, absent its
implications or reminders.

On one hand, I am OK with regarding a machine (say, a database server) as
an utter servant.  I want a future in which machines are not granted the
leeways that humans have in the names of liberty and justice.  It's not
difficult to imagine a number of dystopic scenarios built atop a world in
which machine sovereignty is a trojan horse.

On the other hand, the words "master" and "slave," as they refer to
distributed database systems, are not actual a reference to the roles of
machines, but instead are a metaphor to describe our belief about how this
abstraction is to be regarded.  In this sense, "master" and "slave" are not
particularly accurate.  The other suggestions on these two threads all
communicate a more expressive metaphor for the way we want distributed
databases to work.

Finally (albeit perhaps tangentially), it is telling that, almost without
exception, detractors from this change regard slavery as either having
ended, being now illegal, or being something other than a really big deal.
Slavery, even in the United States, is not illegal.   The 13th amendment to
the US constitution specifically includes an exception to the ban on
slavery, allowing it "as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall
have been duly convicted."  There are currently more people - and more
people of color - living under slavery of this type now than at any point
prior to the civil war.  Of these, an abhorrently large number are subject
to this condition as "punishment for crime" which many if not all of us can
agree is not justly regarded as a crime at all.

If, in some small way, this shift in language can signal that we regard not
only the historical implications of the word "slave" but in fact the very
relationship structure described by "slave" and "master," we've done a good
thing.

--

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAMGywB6HwqE69HoR97cB20e%2B6mN20w11GQV75p5om4As%2Bm%2BYYw%40mail.gmail.com.