i know that such things drains a lot of energy. I'm working for a very
small company and we changed our commit / review system entirely.

currently I think you are right at your four points, but one of your four
points is somehow really bad

> We have only one person reviewing patches regularly in his free time, so
requiring as few as two reviews for a patch to be merged is already
unrealistic

I know that everybody is working here. I mean some people are working for
django quite hard or working for their company and doing a lot of work for
django, too. But still reviewing PR's is really important for a community
project.
I know lots of things already changed and this change is great as well.
Still I think there are parts where some upstream work could be done way
better by the community than by a few (with few i mean core) and thats the
review process, thats why I came up with gerrit. I actually don't think
that gerrit actually suites everybody's projects ( and I came to the same
four conclusions in my company ;))
But maybe we are finding something that is as good as gerrit but suites the
djangos project size a little bit better.

i mean i still think commits needs control, else there would be a lot of
circlejerk as the master/replica thing. but still it looks that pr's take
way too long for django. and thats the last thing that django could do
better.
especially since there are a lots of ideas how to solve such problems in
the real world..

i mean maybe we should really look at a review tool and maybe say if two
people of the community reviewed it gets pipelined to the "core" which can
do a final review. so it would be more community oriented and fewer "bad
patches" will get to the commit pipeline.
still it takes a lot of time to teach people and setup everything. but it
will put the project further ahead.
(also I'm not a core member but if we had such a review system i
would definitely do more of these reviews since thats the thing i do at my
company, too)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAPDLAU4riUVrxvAwL_%3Diy2uRm3FY1g%3DXJnDcqAAwp%3DPj1N5T9g%40mail.gmail.com.