Hi Ryan,

On 09/05/2014 12:02 PM, Ryan Hiebert wrote:
> ​I'd like to see the email settings get moved into a dictionary so that
> I can use a single environment variable to configure it very easily, ala
> dj-database-url. There's dj-email-url right now, but it requires 7 lines
> to configure unless I want to restore to using vars() to update them all
> at once. There should be a way to set this one logical setting (based on
> the environment variable)​ without being implicit (using var().update)
> or spending 7 lines on something this stupidly simple.

This is the best reason I've seen mentioned for moving the email
settings to a dictionary. It's true that email settings really are
various aspects of configuring one "thing", like DATABASES or CACHES.

I'm still not sure it's worth the backwards-compatibility break, though,
especially since it is possible for a package like dj-email-url to do
what you want with no boilerplate in your settings file, with some code
in its AppConfig.ready() that looks for a custom dictionary-formatted
setting and sets the actual individual settings based on it.

Carl

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/540A1D7B.8000804%40oddbird.net.