To upsert or to merge.  Sparked a lot more emotion than I would have
anticipated.

Both ideas, have similiar functionality, they solve marginally different
problems.

Both have the objective of reducing client server traffic involved with pk.

Merge -- bulk loading foreign data -no guaranty

upsert -- insert or update row w/confidence.

Peter, please add the upsert as intended.  After you finishing this
objective, if you would kindly consider working on merge, you'd please
everyone ;)

Upsert adds a feature, I think more of us can identify and would enable
interactive performance gains.

Merge would save some fewer ppl a lot of development effort, for when its
time to perform merge, more development effort is required.  I've worked
around (the lack of) both features, so I understand the passions that
arise.  The features are similar, I would request YOUR additional effort to
add Merge after Upsert.

Kudos either way!

-Joe

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/6276a9f4-8271-4164-af42-dc52f3c74851%40googlegroups.com.