On Mon, 2014-09-29 at 10:56 +0300, I wrote:
>   - Wild suggestion: Maybe it would be better to default to the PRIMARY
> KEY index of the table. If no PK index exists, the user must specify
> which unique index to use. Maybe there shouldn't be a possibility to
> specify more than one unique index?

The more I think about this, the more certain I am that defaulting to
use all unique indexes of the table isn't a good default for ON CONFLICT
UPDATE case. Both PostgreSQL's proposed documentation and MySQL's
existing documentation warn users that it is a bad idea to use this
feature when multiple unique indexes exists for the table. So, why make
that behavior default?

OTOH for ignore case defaulting to all unique indexes can be a good
default.

 - Anssi

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/1412063340.14923.130.camel%40TTY32.