My notes from the meeting say "experimental API language", so I may have
taken an adjective too literally when I made this.

Nevertheless, the key thing _I_ want to see is for us to commit to putting
release notes out for some of Django's APIs that aren't necessarily
considered stable. The 1.7 database API stuff was the main catalyst for
this; those are changes and APIs we should have documented, and fall
somewhere above "internal" (as we expect people to build third-party
database backends), but not tie ourselves into a 3-release deprecation
cycle for.

How about we change the label from "Experimental" to something like
"Unstable", but keep the same provisions - documentation called out as
"unstable feature", separate section in the release notes, etc. That
establishes a clear level between "internal and we don't care about it" and
"stable and publicly documented". The alternative is to change the DEP to
just say we're going to start putting release notes up for certain internal
APIs, and then somehow list the ones we will somewhere (probably on the API
stability page).

Andrew

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAFwN1uqV%2BYbu%3DQgCy3W5AC3aFDX_0W4YzUQLT22RH3h01KLLvg%40mail.gmail.com.