On 12/06/2014 07:24 PM, Andrew Godwin wrote:
> My notes from the meeting say "experimental API language", so I may have
> taken an adjective too literally when I made this.
>
> Nevertheless, the key thing _I_ want to see is for us to commit to
> putting release notes out for some of Django's APIs that aren't
> necessarily considered stable. The 1.7 database API stuff was the main
> catalyst for this; those are changes and APIs we should have documented,
> and fall somewhere above "internal" (as we expect people to build
> third-party database backends), but not tie ourselves into a 3-release
> deprecation cycle for.
>
> How about we change the label from "Experimental" to something like
> "Unstable", but keep the same provisions - documentation called out as
> "unstable feature", separate section in the release notes, etc. That
> establishes a clear level between "internal and we don't care about it"
> and "stable and publicly documented". The alternative is to change the
> DEP to just say we're going to start putting release notes up for
> certain internal APIs, and then somehow list the ones we will somewhere
> (probably on the API stability page).

Something doesn't feel quite right to me about the word "unstable"
either. I guess it's technically applicable to something we want to
retain the freedom to change, but it seems pejorative.

I guess I would favor your latter alternative: don't introduce new
terminology, just document some things (probably starting with the
database backend interface) in the internals/ section of the docs, and
clarify that while APIs documented there are not covered by the
back-compat policy, changes to them will be noted in the release notes.

I don't really think there's a problem with the word "internal" here:
from the perspective of the vast majority of Django users, the database
backend API is internal, but there are a few (maintainers of third-party
backends) for whom its a very important interface, so we document it.

Carl

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/5483D5BA.3060800%40oddbird.net.