Hi Tai,

On 05/07/2015 10:20 PM, Tai Lee wrote:
> This sounds good. But will it significantly slow down the rollout of new
> features into Django that require deprecation?

No, because it would only delay the removal of deprecated features, not
prevent the initial deprecation. The only cost here is the added
maintenance cost of having to keep deprecated code paths around a bit
longer. This cost is non-zero, but in most cases it's quite manageable.

> Also, could features that
> are deprecated in an LTS be dropped in the next non-LTS release? e.g. if
> 1.8 still had a feature that was deprecated in 1.5, could it finally be
> removed in 1.9?

Yes, in the way that I'd envisioned it, a feature which is deprecated in
an LTS could be dropped on the normal schedule (since anyone for whom
that LTS is their oldest supported version can upgrade to the
replacement for that deprecated API.)

Carl

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/554CDC51.9050401%40oddbird.net.