On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 9:32 PM, Ryan Hiebert <r...@ryanhiebert.com> wrote:

> > On Aug 24, 2015, at 5:37 PM, Carl Meyer <c...@oddbird.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Any ideas on alternative ways to tackle this? I'm officially stuck.
> >
> > I'm afraid I don't have any solution to offer, other than embracing the
> > "abstract vs concrete" dependencies distinction, and accepting the fact
> > that users of your wheels/eggs are choosing to be more "on their own"
> > when it comes to their chosen dependency versions.
>
> I definitely agree. setup.py files, for the reason you mentioned, are not
> intended for concrete dependencies, while requirements.txt files are. They
> are the right tool for the job. If I was you, that's what I would do.

That sort of setup works fine when it's a standalone install on a server
that someone experienced with the Python world is maintaining, or a
developer working against a set of modules. It's not really an option for a
full-blown application meant to be easily installed by people used to being
able to run 'apt-get install <app>' or 'yum install <app>'

As a more complex webapp, our packaging requires the
compilation/minification of .less/.js files, which means any user using the
sdist would need a suitable build environment. That raises a huge barrier
to installation for a significant chunk of our userbase. Our goal is to
keep installation simple for everyone, treating it much like any typical
application, without requiring a whole bunch of pre-setup. Aside from this
particular issue with the backported Django builds, we've been able to do
this for years.

It's basically the difference between being able to download/install a
setup.exe for OpenOffice as opposed to needing a build environment and
source to install it.

It's starting to sound like the best bet for us is to move away from
pip/easy_install for end-user consumption of the software and onto more of
a dedicated installer that can manage dependencies more explicitly, maybe
taking care of the building/consumption of a requirements.txt for them.

Thanks for your thoughts on this, everyone :)

Christian

--
Christian Hammond - chip...@chipx86.com

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAHfcSbxkQaUW6HvLGrTpcZEyrAZGAvgidHHELHOK8-XgCje0zg%40mail.gmail.com.