I'm definitely in favour of a format allowing multiple storage back ends
referred to by name. For larger sites it is not unusual to manage files
across multiple locations (eg several S3 buckets). The storage param to
FileField would be allowed to be the key, and there would be a get_storage
function like get_cache.

This is especially useful when testing locally as you can swap out
dependencies on external server storages for local temp storage.

(Side point: a temp dir based storage which could clean itself up between
rest runs would be amazing)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAMwjO1Ei7WUfbM%2B%3DYnJ%2Bpm75ifpqJVaUoexikooD2Zk7AA8tfQ%40mail.gmail.com.