Hi

For apps running on Heroku, two of the main memcached options are
MemCachier and Memcached Cloud [1]. Both of these control access via SASL
authentication, which isn't supported by Django's current pylibmc backend
[2], even though pylibmc supports it [3]. As such, currently the
django-pylibmc backend has to be used instead [4].

I'd like to add SASL auth support to the Django pylibmc backend to make
this unnecessary, which is just a case of passing the relevant parameters
through to the pylibmc client during its instantiation [5]. A previous
newsgroup discussion about this is at [6].

SASL auth requires binary mode, so I'll also need to add support for that -
for which there is already a Django ticket filed [7].

I have a couple of questions:
a) Will a PR to add SASL authentication support be accepted?
b) If yes to (a), should the `username`, `password` and `binary` fields be
added to the top level `CACHES['foo']` dict, or nested inside `OPTIONS`
within that? I'm presuming within OPTIONS? Examples: [8].

Many thanks,

Ed

[1] https://elements.heroku.com/addons#caching
[2]