@Aymeric
> In my opinion, the first concrete step would be to measure how much time
is spent executing Django code rather than importing Python modules.

You can find a complete profile of a Django request as it goes through the
complete request/response loop here:
https://github.com/Miserlou/django-zappa/files/141600/profile.txt

Over 70% of the total request time is spent in django.setup() - so you can
see why we have an incentive to improve this!

@ Cristiano -
> If with "serverless" you are talking deployments such as Amazon Lambda or
similar, I don't think setup is called on every request, at least for AWS
Lambda, the enviorment is cached so it will only happen once each time it
needs to scale up. Are there any other issues?

You're halfway there, but the process is more complicated than that. The
code is cached, not the internal state of the machine. You can follow our
progress here: https://github.com/Miserlou/django-zappa/

But - another type caching could be another possibility. Can anybody think
of any arrangements where we could perhaps call setup() with
"pre-loaded"/cached applications?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/a7d47b1d-7805-4085-a0d3-b7270c5966d3%40googlegroups.com.