In my opinion, those latencies are still a bit high, how much is really
used on python/lambda code?  On a project of mine without hitting the
database and django-rest-framework my times were around 1-4ms excluding any
network latency. Debug and loggers might have high impact on your times if
it is using cloud watch.

An interesting way of testing concurrency is to use apache benchmark. You
can do it easily with an EC2 machine, ideally on the same region as your
lambdas to reduce network latency to 0. There you can test on a nearly real
scenario as this tool is quite good for load testing. Be careful to not do
a huge test as you might start to get charged :D

I have added a github issue on zappa from reading your handler.py code with
a few suggestions that may help you improve performance even further. Sorry
that I'm lazy to make a real pull request.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/5ced17b0-b5cc-44bb-aebe-3a7605c77945%40googlegroups.com.