For what reason Zach? Without a canonical regex implementation to copy or
include, we're stuck poorly reimplementing a bunch of esoteric rules to
what end? The main purpose of email validation is to provide relevant
feedback to the user, and to guard against obviously bad or malicious data.
"Looks vaguely like an email address" is probably too loose to be useful, I
admit. The proposal to copy the regex from the html5 email input widget
seems like a fine compromise to me.

We should also err on the side of allowing incorrect addresses rather than
rejecting correct addresses. I'd much rather have bad signups that need to
be done again rather than users that can't sign up with their valid
addresses.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/1cc42853-f289-40a3-ac88-5ff3cfc26f04%40googlegroups.com.