On Saturday 02 April 2016 09:44:54 Josh Smeaton wrote:
> For what reason Zach?

There is only one reason for which a strict and accurate validation is
required, as far as I can see, and that is if your application is not just
using existing email addresses (i.e. sending mail to users) but actually
manages them (i.e. creates mail addresses).

Such applications are few and far between...

> Without a canonical regex implementation to copy or
> include, we're stuck poorly reimplementing a bunch of esoteric rules to
> what end? The main purpose of email validation is to provide relevant
> feedback to the user, and to guard against obviously bad or malicious data.
> "Looks vaguely like an email address" is probably too loose to be useful, I
> admit. The proposal to copy the regex from the html5 email input widget
> seems like a fine compromise to me.
>
> We should also err on the side of allowing incorrect addresses rather than
> rejecting correct addresses. I'd much rather have bad signups that need to
> be done again rather than users that can't sign up with their valid
> addresses.

...and their needs should not imply a high burden of maintenance on the rest
of the community; they can and should implement their own validation.

+1 everything Josh said.

Shai.