The `is` operator in Python checks for identical objects. A string is not
guaranteed to be exactly the same object as another string (in this example
"True" is not the same object (bytes in memory) as the second "True", so Python
rightly sees that they are not the same object.

True, False, and None are singletons, that are guaranteed to always point to
the exact same object in memory, and `is` is the appropriate operator to use
there. It is for those singletons that this feature is being added.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/4FEBF18F-960B-4650-AE49-0E03D7E84AF3%40ryanhiebert.com.