Hi Connor,

On 06/05/2016 07:52 PM, Connor Boyle wrote:
> I'd like to make a proposal for the addition of a major new feature to
> Django. Back in late March of this year, I wrote an original Google
> Summer of Code proposal
> <https://gist.github.com/cascadianblue/2856bea128dd1b3f4d0f> that
> received some interest from several members of the community, but
> neither I nor this proposal were selected for GSoC. A community member
> (iirc it was Florian Apolloner) told me to put the proposal in the form
> of a DEP.

I read through the DEP - it's an interesting idea. I'm not seeing
anything in the proposal that inherently needs to be part of Django core
in order to be useful; it seems that it could just as well be
implemented as an installable library. When there's a new feature idea
that _can_ live external to Django core, we generally prefer that it
_does_ live external to core, at least for a while to prove the design
and demonstrate its practical advantage over similar alternatives.
Living outside core allows you to iterate much more rapidly on the
design, with new releases as often as you need them.

If in the future it becomes the clear winning implementation of a
pattern that is important enough that it should be available to all
Django users by default, we may decide to bring it into core.

Note that this isn't just a theory or something we tell people, it's
something that actually happens regularly, including with proposals from
core team members. See for example South, django-security,
django-transaction-hooks, django-channels...

So my recommendation is that you implement your proposal as a
pip-installable library and advertise it, see whether it gains traction
that way, and see what you learn about the design from having it
exercised by real users.

Carl

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/5755A614.7090404%40oddbird.net.