> On 30 Jul 2016, at 23:15, Donald Stufft <don...@stufft.io> wrote:
>
> See #6 of
> https://www.kalzumeus.com/2010/06/17/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-names/

I’m aware of this article. It's a entertaining read but, unlike the W3 Q&A
mentioned earlier, it doesn’t contain actionable advice for designing a generic
system that won’t perform too poorly in many use cases when you have no idea of
what these use cases will be.

Once you reject the idea that “People have names”, it’s pointless to discuss
modelling of name fields. If you merely reject the idea that “People’s names
are all mapped in Unicode code points”, it’s still pointless to discuss how
many code points names usually contain.

So let’s stay focused on a practical design, let’s do something that most
people will find reasonable, and those who don’t can use custom user models.

Last names containing over 30 characters are sufficiently common — likely tens
of millions of people at this time — to deserve consideration. That’s where
this thread started. Let’s not block an easy win for these tens of millions
because the general problem is intractable. Besides, a last_name field is
already a severe simplification, as we all know.

Last names containing over 100 characters are sufficiently uncommon to be the
subject of trivia articles on the Internet. I’m absolutely certain that no
website has tens or thousands of millions of last names over 100 characters; in
fact, not even tens of such names.

If someone has access to real-life stats from a very large database of names in
a country that has long last names that could help us make an optimal decision.

If we can’t find that information, let’s go for max_length=60 and commit the
change.

--
Aymeric.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/710CA663-E7A6-405B-AC53-DE32A7FB1F12%40polytechnique.org.