Thanks for your suggestion Adam ! However, I have a feeling that to apply
that technique on the flatpages use case we'd also have to:

4. Monkey patch django.contrib.models.FlatPage.content,

5. Override and deal with flatpages migrations from now on.

The proposal removes the cost of steps 1., 3., 4. and 5 and cuts the cost
of step 2. replacing the change in multiple model files to a single change
at one place.

I definitely agree that a signal would be a lot better than a callback
setting ;)

======= ERRATA
There was an error in my previous email, this was actually the second
feature of the list:
- allows to override default form fields or form field options without
touching their code.
Should have been:
- allows to override external app model default form fields or form field
options without touching their code.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CALC3Kad-ND9gBdn-zMTriM40b6YWyos34McCrHX1ncgLJ8UXjQ%40mail.gmail.com.