Thanks a lot for your time and quick answer Adam ! The ModelFormMetaclass
usage you suggest is not supported by Django at this point. Suggesting that
doing it is easy and supported seems incorrect in my experience, starting
with the fact that there is no documentation.

There are a lot of problems out there with imaginary third party apps that
> you want to modify the internals of :)

I have to disagree here, it's perfectly supported to override the apps
views, forms and admins to change a widget: when it's done right it works.
It's just a lot of error-prone and manual work and I wish Django proposed a
way to reduce the cost of this.

In my experience, it works fine to enhance one app with the widget provided
by another. As demonstrated, it's already possible, but the cost of 6 steps
is something I'd like to reduce to one, DRY step.

> Often it's not hard to get third party apps to add some hook for extension
> (e.g. their own setting, or signal, ...) or to fork it yourself - easier
> than modifying Django core.

I don't understand why the community would be against reducing the cost of
using a form field or widget of an app to enhance another: given the number
of apps which provide just a form field or widget, I can hardly believe I'm
the only one to do this kind of things. I mean, are we formfield/widget app
maintainers so ahead time for maintaining such apps ?

I'm really sorry that I couldn't make it clear that we need a way to
"overriding the default form field generator ***mechanism***", and that
answers that were given to me are about just "overriding a form field",
similarly to the hundreds of StackOverflow answers and countless number of
blog posts I've published on this subject myself.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CALC3KacjBh8XO09cStzAvRbSCdcuJn8Wd-CWZp26LuejMFMrZw%40mail.gmail.com.