I noticed that the GIS widgets didn't use the new API so I added a commit
for that. I tested the widgets in the geodjango tutorial and they looked
okay. I'm not sure how well those widgets are tested in Django's test suite
-- if any GIS users want to review the changes and/or test the branch with
their own project, that would be welcome.

I also did a little polish on the documentation. If there's no further
feedback, I think we could merge this sometime next week. If you would like
to review it and don't have time until a certain day, just let me know and
I'll delay the merge as needed.

Thanks!

https://github.com/django/django/pull/6498

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/e1dbc1f9-e9b4-4a25-b1e4-c33747d91530%40googlegroups.com.