Florian started a long discussion [0] on the pull request and concluded in
him saying, "If we are going to promote the usage of ProjectTemplateRenderer
(which I think we should), we probably should bite the dust and get rid of
POST_APP_DIRS and in the same breath of the jinja renderer -- ie provide
the Django renderer really only as backwards compat shim."

One concern I have is that if you want to ues ProjectTemplateRenderer and
render Jinja2 widget templates but use Django templates elsewhere, then you
have to put a Jinja2 backend first in TEMPLATES which means all your
non-form widget template lookups have an additional cost of checking if the
Jinja2 template exists. Does anyone have a sense if that would be a
noticeable performance penalty? (and perhaps an argument against
ProjectTemplateRenderer for a use case like that)

[0] https://github.com/django/django/pull/6498#issuecomment-268120711

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/29979449-8bc8-4e49-8878-fefe34e04385%40googlegroups.com.