dj-database-url gives Django developers two main things:

1. the ability to represent their database settings via a string (a-la
sqlalchemy); very useful for environmnent variables and 12factor apps.
2. it will automatically use the DATABASE_URL environment variable, if present.

I'm not sure if #2 is appropriate for Django Core (but it would be nice, as
Gunicorn supports both PORT and WEB_CONCURRENCY), but I know #1 is perfect.

This plan has previously been discussed (at a conference, DjangoCon EU in
Zurich, long ago) and approved by JKM, before his role at Heroku, if that is
helpful information.

I think this change would vastly improve the usability of Django, and would be
an excellent and simple move for the project.

Many thanks for your consideration. <3

--
Kenneth Reitz

https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/28236