Regarding 2, it does work for reverse one-to-one relations.

On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 9:17 PM, Aymeric Augustin <
aymeric.augus...@polytechnique.org> wrote:

> On 15 Aug 2017, at 11:44, Gordon Wrigley <gordon.wrig...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'd like to discuss automatic prefetching in querysets. Specifically
> automatically doing prefetch_related where needed without the user having
> to request it.
>

> Hello,
>
> I'm rather sympathetic to this proposal. Figuring out N + 1 problems in
> the admin or elsewhere gets old.
>

> In addition to everything that was said already, I'd like to point out
> that Django already has a very similar "magic auto prefetching" behavior in
> some cases :-)
>
> I'm referring to the admin which calls select_related() on non-nullable
> foreign keys in the changelist view. The "non-nullable" condition makes
> that behavior hard to predict — I'd go as far as to call it non
> deterministic. For details, see slide 54 of https://myks.org/data/
> 20161103-Django_Under_the_Hood-Debugging_Performance.pdf and the audio
> commentary at https://youtu.be/5fheDDj3oHY?t=2024.
>

> The feature proposed here is most useful if it's opt-out because it
> targets people who aren't aware that the problem even exists — at best they
> notice that Django is slow and that reminds them vaguely of a rant that
> explains why ORMs are the worst thing since object oriented programming.
>
> It should kick in only when no select_related or prefetch_related is in
> effect, to avoid interfering with pre-existing optimizations. It's still
> easy to construct an example where it would degrade performance but I don't
> think such situations will be common in practice. Still, there should be a
> per-queryset opt-out for these cases.
>
> We may want to introduce it with a deprecation path, that is, make it
> opt-in at first and log a deprecation warning where the behavior would
> kick-in, so developers who want to disable it can add the per-queryset
> opt-out.
>

> At this point, my main concerns are:
>
> 1) The difficulty of identifying where the queryset originates, given that
> querysets are lazy. Passing objects around is common; sometimes it can be
> hard to figure out where an object comes from. It isn't visible in the
> stack trace. In my opinion this is the strongest argument against the
> feature.
>
> 2) The lack of this feature for reverse one-to-one relations; it's only
> implemented for foreign keys. It's hard to tell them apart in Python code.
> The subtle differences, like return None vs. raise ObjectDoesNotExist when
> there's no related object, degrade the developer experience.
>
> 3) The strong opinions expressed against the feature. I'm not sure that
> consensus is within reach. If we can't agree that this is an adequate
> amount of magic, we're likely to stick with the status quo. I'd rather not
> have this question decided by a vote of the technical board.
>

> In the grand scheme of things, going from "prefetching a related instance
> for an object" to "prefetching related instances for all objects in the
> [...]

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAD-wiX0ScioW28wNYmY76Ma03kbSN9dWjRvKWs60%2B0f1VwvkFQ%40mail.gmail.com.
  • Re: Au... Cristiano Coelho
    • R... Alexander Hill
      • ... Josh Smeaton
        • ... Adam Johnson
          • ... 'Tom Evans' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
            • ... Shai Berger
              • ... Josh Smeaton
              • ... Gordon Wrigley
        • ... Anssi Kääriäinen